Pages

Thursday 27 September 2018

Chocolate Charts

Last week we had a strand maths workshop. We were put into groups of about 4. Our walt was to estimate how many M&M's in a packet and how many of each color. Next we had to open up the packet and see how many were actually in the packet. Our Guesses were way off. My thoughts on that were that they probably just weigh the M&M's instead of counting a number of them for each color.

Next we made charts with the data we had gathered. We made one pie chart on google sheets with the percentage of each color. We made one bar graph on google sheets. But my favorite one was the actual M&M chart. We made a chart on paper with the actual M&M's to show the raw data. Also it looks really cool and I thought it was creative. Here is my charts. Two are in a slide show. One is a photo.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel P, Its Daniel B.
    I like how you lay out the M&M's. The picture above is really good way of explaining the graph. This post reminds me of a fundraiser I did at my old school for a 4x4 sarafi. We had to make graphs for how much money we made. We ended up making $40,000. We spent of all on skiing and upgrading the school. I also like the graphs that you used. Anyway, Great blog post. Hope to see more from you.
    Daniel B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Daniel B, I did not realise Motu raised so much money out of that fundraiser! That is excellent - a very caring and sharing extended community!

      Delete
  2. Hi Daniel, this was such great learning wasn't it... although like we discussed today - it raised more questions for me than it answered! It would have been interesting to gather the data from all of the packets to see which was the most used colour and have a discussion about why we think this would have been. Your group was definitely clever making a graph out of your equipment before you ate them :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.